Leche Flan

Indulge in the irresistible sweet taste of this leche flan! Best for special occasions especially this coming Christmas season and New Year's eve!




Leche Flan is one of the popular Filipino desserts that is easy to make. It is also called the "Filipino Caramel Custard". It's main ingredient is the egg yolk so this dessert is rich in protein but is also high in cholesterol.


One thing I like from making this dessert is you can make one, even without baking. You can use a steamer to cook it.


I know there are lots of ways on how to make leche flans but this procedure is what we always do when making one. I could say, this is the simplest and easiest way of making leche flans. Some recipes also use egg whites for making this but we mainly use egg yolks to make it creamier and rich in texture. When making the caramel, I also put a small amount of coffee, just get coffee powder using your two fingers. I assure you, you will like it more! The sweetness of brown sugar plus the bitterness of the coffee is the perfect mix for the caramel of your leche flan!


INGREDIENTS :



8    egg yolks


1    sweetened condensed milk 380g


1/4 cup brown sugar


1    tablespoon vanilla (optional)


small amount of coffee (optional)



PROCEDURES :



Caramelized the brown sugar and coffee(optional) with a small amount of water in a pan or directly to the mold that you are going to use. You can use a tong for easy cooking. Cook over medium heat with occasional stirring. Do not overcook, make sure it is quite "sticky" looking so it will just stay at the bottom of the molds when you pour the mixture of egg yolks and milk.  Pour equally to the molds then let it cool.


Mix egg yolks, condensed milk and vanilla(optional) in a bowl then beat well. Scoop out most of the bubbles while beating the mixture. Then pour the mixture to the molds that has the caramel then steam for about 40 minutes or until the flan is cooked. Let it cool for a while then put in the refrigerator.


When served, use a knife and run it on the edges of the mold to loosen your leche flan. 









16 Responses so far.

  1. LF is one of my husband's favorite Filipino dessert. He knows how to make it but I don't, weird!

  2. I loooove leche flan! My mom puts some lemon zest in when she makes it to make the taste more citrusy. I prefer it without the lemon though and I like it really, really creamy :)

  3. Nova says:

    Ohhhh my favorite, i remember before, i always wanted to have this desert in every occasion we have, now that i have ways to make my homemade version anytime i am craving, i still consider that this is one of my favorite desert...

  4. papaleng says:

    A different ingredients to that of my wife's own.. but same result.. Yummy at fave ko.

  5. Leche Flan is one of my favorite desserts because of its sweet taste and melts in your mouth feel.

  6. Lechen flan --- very easy to make yet is such a delight for the taste buds.

    I make leche flan every now and then. Occasion or no occasion, I make 'em simply because I am craving. My boyfriend and his family love leche flan, too!

  7. Leche flan is and will always be one of my comfort foods and it is good to see some twists in recipes that I can try.

  8. Maricel says:

    This is a favorite of mine. And now that you wrote about it, I suddenly remembered I forgot to get us some of these last Christmas and that I'm not supposed to forget again for the New Year. Ha, life and all the things we can forget, LOL. Thanks for the reminder!

  9. Czjai says:

    My most favorite dessert ever. Forget the kanin and ulam. Leche flan lang okay na ako. :)

  10. Algene says:

    I love preparing leche flan. Madali lang kasing gawin :) Easy mix for a lovely dessert.

  11. I made this last Christmas and I still have plenty to share. :) Happy New Year sis.

  12. Aileen says:

    Meron pa ba? Makikikain ako sa inyo...dadala ko ng chopsticks hehehe. Happy new year sis!

  13. GbSb says:

    Hi friend, How are you..one of my favorite dessert.

  14. Lunaiah says:

    Wow! Hmmm! Bigla tuloy ako natakam! Bitin sakin yung small size sa mga fast food.

  15. Pinx says:

    drooling here! i miss eating leche flan, i do want to make one, but the thought of using a lot of eggs backs me off. hehehe... plus i don't have a steamer here so there's no way i can make leche flan, oh well, i will just have to satisfy my cravings by looking at the photo! heheh.

  16. Anna says:

    I still need to perfect my leche flan, more practice pa hehe

Leave a Reply