Bitter Melon Salad


Enjoy the crunchiness and savory taste minus the bitterness of this salad! Best served as a side dish to your main meal.


Bitter melon, also known as "ampalaya" in our country, is one of the healthiest vegetable we should always include in our meals to gain its healthy benefits. It contains phyto-nutrients that are known to lower blood sugar level, that is why this vegetable is best for diabetic people. But this vegetable is often neglected by many because of its bitter taste. 


But with this recipe of mine, you will be surprised how the salt and vinegar overpowers the bitterness of this vegetable. With its crunchiness and savory taste, I am sure you will enjoy eating this salad more often, especially when you are after its health benefits. This recipe is also known as "Ensaladang Amapalaya".


WHAT YOU NEED:


2 medium sized bitter melons

2 medium sized tomatoes

1 medium sized onion

3/4 cup vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt


WHAT TO DO:

1.  Slice thinly the bitter melons then wash. Put salt.

2.  Slice the tomatoes and onions then combine them with the salted bitter melons.

3.  Toss to mix well.

4.  Serve immediately.

NOTE : The amount of salt and vinegar will depend upon your taste. You can add some, if you prefer.







19 Responses so far.

  1. Kero says:

    omg. I love, love ampalay con egg. it is my all time favorite ulam. but have it as salad? sige nga, i will try your recipe. thank you for sharing!

  2. Raine Pal says:

    I super love this dish. When I was still a small girl, I suffered low hemoglobin count. I was anemic and my mother give this dish to me to eat. Well I don't like ampalaya because of its bitter taste but I have to eat because if not I am at a stage of nowhere...I bet you know what I mean here. Hehehehehe.

  3. Not a fan of Ampalaya but this should be a different experience for my taste buds.

  4. Aileen says:

    Doesn't the vinegar make it more bitter? I eat ampalaya but not raw hehehe...Have not tried it yet. This should be some challenge for someone who prefers sweet to bitter. :-)

  5. Nova says:

    I do miss this veggies.... Very healthy for us

  6. ems says:

    I never tried eating this because I always thought it's still bitter. I'll try to cook this for myself to prove that it still delicious. Thanks! :-)

  7. Ampalaya is really delicious but I haven't tried eating it as a salad. My father who is our cook at home usually prepares it with egg at served at breakfast.

  8. That looks appetizing, I miss bitter melon cooked in coco milk with lots of chili, yum!

  9. Raine says:

    I used to hate Ampalaya but as i grew older I learned to appreciate it. I love my husband's recipe of Beef Ampalaya with Oyster sauce, will ask him to prepare your salad recipe next time :)

  10. papaleng says:

    I hate eating amapalaya but I agree this one is very healthy. Pwede ba instead na biiter melon eh pakwan na lang.

  11. Marie says:

    My mommy (mom's elder sister) always makes this every other day for merienda. I asked her why she likes this kind of salad since ampalaya is so bitter, well, I found out she's diabetic.

    Right then, I tried it and I actually liked it. Hehehe.

    Iwas diabetes pa, diba nay? :D

  12. gracia says:

    my favorite, I know it's bitter but there's a trick how to make it less bitter, this vegetable helped me with my Anemia, it's so rich in Iron

  13. Dhemz says:

    gosh, I really miss this...I wish I can grow some next year...yum!

  14. Algene says:

    Sorry, but this not something that I would eat. Hindi kasi ako mahilig sa ampalaya eh. But my mom would surely love this.

  15. Lainy says:

    I so love bitter melon (bitter gourd) when it's served like that. Other than salad, I wouldn't dare have a taste. It's perfect for my tastebuds when I pair it with dried fish as my main dish ;-)

  16. cheerful says:

    that looks so fresh and yummy...but i am not a fan of it, i can eat but not my fave! :) thanks for sharing your recipe, maybe i can try someday!

  17. Ron says:

    that looks delish.... though i love it much better without too much bitter hahaha.

    thanks for sharing po... will sure to try this out soon while we're teaching our son to taste different flavors.. :)

    cheers!

  18. Jadey says:

    I don't like bitter melon. I tried it several times but I just can't get myself to get pass the bitterness.

  19. Blog like yours help people like me, who need Internet intervention to create good meal for the family. :-)

Leave a Reply